Tuesday, February 10, 2015

self- care and feeling good

These days, it seems energy comes in bursts.  You'd think I was raising a kid.  Or a really cute little furry animal.  So when Saturday came rolling around, I was stoked and for once, it wasn't just because of the morning cartoons.  I had planned a mission for this particular day.

I was excited about being able to take care of myself.  Young men, you should feel free to do the same.  I have a new monthly ritual.  It's called going to the barber.  I love getting my hair cut.  The feel of the razor, the artistry of the scissors snipping away. The whole mantra of "look good, feel good" kicked in.

It isn't vain.  It isn't self- fulfilling.  Think about it, getting ready for the day, when you see yourself in the mirror and can believe you can approach the day looking decent, you'll be more motivated in general?  I'm learning about this, so it's still fresh and exciting.  I don't douse myself in cologne daily.  I may not have the best fashion sense, but I want to feel confident.  Because I do confident things.  Confidence is what people anticipate from me.  Confidence is what makes myself and others feel safe.

The day after, at Church, and where else to expect something of the like, I was chatting, and no sooner was one of the pastor's wife standing beside me. I thought well maybe she wanted to talk to the person I was talking to, so I gently interrupted the conversation and nodded her way.  She sincerely wanted to compliment my hair.  She crooned over it's supposed vitality, saying that even at my age, having no grey was something she was jealous of. I thanked her.  The hair stylist I could tell, really enjoyed running her hands through my mane (a cultural subject I should get into someday) and was careful and thoughtful in how to trim my hair.

The exchange wasn't sexual or perverted in nature.  It was the grace I needed to help boost my week.  Affirming beauty (I'm not saying I am) is a treasure, especially if its sincere.  I had a few rough weeks personally, and was anxious to get going again with full steam.  It was nice for someone to notice and acknowledge it as well.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home