Saturday, March 21, 2015

2 Saints, 1 sinner

Try to imagine, the more honorable people you can think of.  It is probably someone you know well.  Or maybe it's some historical figure.  I couldn't tell you my take on the matter.  But 2 men recently have really got me thinking about glory and rewards.

It's the work place.  Guy comes in and boasts about a celebration.  The celebration, not cause for concern is no big deal.  The guys action, however, is what got my attention.  "I was up on the counter, dancing, having the time of my life.  And then the cops got called and I got hauled in."  Dude had just gotten out of the joint some days after the matter, jovial as all get up and unremorseful.  Said he'd do it again. With an mischievous smile.  "Why, oh homeless dude are you so reckless with your life.  You're homeless.  A chronic bullshitter, a drunk, and guilt the youth into begrudgingly listening to a ten part sermon on a hard life."  This is the sinner talking.  Less than an hour later, the homeless bullshitter drunk, is offering to pray for the brokenhearted and the hurting.  How real can faith get?

Same work place.  Second guy.  This guy has the reputation of being the "big drunk Indian guy."  Reminiscent of a time passed.  The second guy hasn't lived on an Indian reservation really ever in his life.  The sinner, a young Indian, ridicules the accusers of sarcastically reinforcing the stereotype "Those God damned big drunken Indians"  The second guy asks the sinner "you ever jump rails?"  The young sinner professes his ignorance and says no.  Curious, the sinner asks the guy to describe what train hopping is like.  Guy describes a Captain's chair, with 365 degree spinning capabilities, and a small refrigerator with stocked bottles of water.  The feel of peace, distraction, and freedom permeates the room.  The guy's attention shifts back to the present, in which he declares he needs a new location to fly his sign.  Honestly and unconsciously he smiles as he scripts the visit to a gas station, to get his couple of cans of alcohol.  "Give me a couple of those and I'm hunky Dory."

These are the kind of people my faith champions. I'm going to spend an eternity with these men.  And they'd probably get a hearty welcome from heaven in the beginning of forever.  I don't know why, but I felt hopeful and encouraged that somehow in some way I'm worse than these two men. And I smile because that means there's still time and hope for me.    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home