Tuesday, March 31, 2015

10 things from the hardest job I've had

10- I had no earthly idea what it was I was applying for when I interviewed and got hired for the gig. Serving homeless people?  There's a hefty deposit in the good karma dept.

9- My training and/or bosses really did try and tell me how hard it could be.

8- Putting the two other part time jobs on the back burner turned out to be a smart move after all.  For the more practical reasons like my mental, and emotional health.  Not for the financial reasons though.  I'd be rich if we could cash in on feeling inadequate and courageous.

7- My mom was a bit shocked to learn about the job and warned me about the types of people I'd be working with and for.

6- Shit hit the fan and some days I felt like laying under my car, or pigeon holing myself in the corner of my garage.

5- I celebrated another year of life a midst the craziness.  Biggest celebration yet.  Was a great time.

4- Rituals and celebrations aren't overrated.  I had my own self-care habits and I'm grateful I looked just as mental and obsessed as anyone else trying to practice them.

3- God's people, my Church, and my faith were the only things that got me through this job.  Nothing like working 13 hours and still- the best two hours of the week were ahead.  Worship and fellowship gave me the courage to get through the next week.

2- The only stat that mattered, hearing "thank you for finally getting the job" from an elderly guy at the shelter.

1- The goodbyes and the handshakes on my last shift.  Softened the heart.  Being able to look those guys in the eyes and tell them I did the best possible job I could for them.  The discipline, the advocacy, the relationship building, the praying, the repenting, the serving, the laughter.

Priceless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home